Mary Katherine “Katie” Russell Walters was the niece of the fabled Russell Brothers, who were the original owners of the Wagon Wheel Resort, owned most of the property on the west side of Lake of the Falls, and had a logging camp off of Russell Brothers Road. Katie’s parents built a cabin a little south of Beaver’s in 1948, when she was 14, and she spent part of every summer at the lake. She was a founding member of the Lake of the Falls Association. Katie passed away this year, on February 7, at the age of 91. She will be greatly missed by her family and friends! Her daughter Juliet, a long-time member of LOFA, sent this delightful picture of Katie in front of the cabin.
A new page for our LOFA website, featuring the history of Lake of the Falls, is in development. Old photos and stories from around the lake are welcome, and might be included in the new page, depending on how much space we have. (We only have a limited amount of server space available.) Send them to lofassociation@gmail.com. Thank you to Juliet Corbett and her mom for the inspiration!